Julius Wexseler - Textile store and mail order company
Julius Wexseler (born 1871 in Bersenbrück) came to Celle in 1899 after completing a commercial apprenticeship. Wexseler was Jewish, his wife Anna (born 1882 in Clenze), née Pevesdorf, belonged to the Lutheran Church, but converted before the wedding. They had two children, Alexander (born 1906) and Rosa (born 1909). In 1904, Wexseler set up his own business at Zöllnerstra<e 35 with a mail order business for textiles. His first store was opened at Rundenstra<e 14 in April 1905. In 1910, he rented the store in the modern building at Hehlentorstra<e 14.
Mendel Schul - Trade in textiles, shoes and used materials
Mendel Schul was born on July 15, 1888 in the Lower Silesian town of Glogau (Polish: Glogów). The town belonged to the German Empire at the time, but Schul was probably of Polish descent. He was married to Berta Felder, who was born on July 14, 1900 in the Austrian-Hungarian town of Sanok. Both were of Jewish faith. They had two children: Adolf Pinkus (born 1924) and Regine (born 1926). Schul ran a trade in textiles, shoes and used materials at Wallstraße 54 (today Nordwall).
'Landlady' Jenny Schlüsselburg
Jenny Schlüsselburg, née Neiovetz, born on December 1, 1881 in Marmaros-Sziget, Hungary, owned the house Hinter den Höfen 4, where she and her non-Jewish husband Heinrich lived and ran a brothel. On November 15, 1938, they were banned from renting out any rooms to women, with the justification: "With regard to your Jewish descent, your business represents a danger to public safety and order."
Bone dealer Henry Salomon - In the circle
Henry Salomon was born on July 24, 1886 in Südafrika. He came to Celle in 1913 and bought the property at Maschplatz 3, where he ran a second-hand goods business or, as it was called at the time, a bone and rag merchant.
Süßkind - Men's and boys' clothing store
Hulda Süßkind, née Graupe, was born in March 1871. Like her husband, the master tailor Siegfried Süßkind (b. 1868), she came from Posen. Siegfried opened a men's and boys' wardrobe shop in 1898 at Am Gro&ßen Plan 15 in Celle. The business included a tailor's shop and a large fabric store. Their only son Werner was born in 1902. The business developed positively, the product range was expanded and in September 1904 the company moved into larger premises at Poststrasse 10.
Victor Roberg manufacture and fashion goods
Since 1906, Victor Roberg (born 1884) lived in Celle, where he was initially employed at the department store Gebrüder Freidberg. After he became a representative of the company F. Machunsky (Marburg) for oils and waxes, Am Heiligen Kreuz 5, he opened a manufacturing and fashion goods shop at Markt 17 in 1919; at the same time he ran an itinerant business. In 1929, Roberg moved to a larger shop at Zöllnerstraße 35. Around 1935, the business premises were closed and the textile trade moved to the family home at Fritzenwiese 48D.
Former Freidberg department store
The Freidberg department store employed around 60 people until its forced sale in 1936. It was the largest department store in Celle before Karstadt, but from 1933 it suffered from the NSDAP's calls for a boycott, so that the business was closed in 1936 and Ida Freidberg emigrated to the USA in 1937.
Hamburger Engros Lager Meyer & Co - The department store for fashions and dowries
Since 1881, Isidor Meyer ran a lingerie and trousseau shop in the Groäer Plan 3 building, which over time became a real department store, the "Hamburger Engros Lager". After he was able to acquire the adjacent building, he had an imposing and stylish business premises (CZ) built in 1905 in place of the two half-timbered houses.
At this time, the company employed 30 people and had 300 customers a day. Isidor Meyer was a member of various prestigious associations and from 1900 to 1913 was head of the Jewish community in Celle.
Oskar Salomon shoe store
Oskar Salomon took over his late father's outerwear and shoe business at Poststra<e 4 / Großer Plan in 1907. In the years that followed, he specialized in shoes and moved his business, the "Schuhhaus Salomon", to Zöllnerstraße 35 in 1914 and then to Poststraße 7 in April 1929.
Herrenmodehaus Hasall - Owner Hans Salomon
The Hasall men's clothing store was opened in 1932 by Hans Salomon at Poststra<e 1.
On April 1, 1933, the store was affected by the boycott campaign of the NSDAP like other companies owned by Jewish owners.
In the November pogrom night of 1938, the shop windows of his business were smashed and furnishings and goods were scattered on the street.