Banking business - Hesse, Newman & Co.

Complete profile
90

The beginnings of the " Hesse Newman & Co " - Bank go back to 1777, when Isac Hesse, a calico broker and money changer born in Osterode in the Harz Mountains in 1737, founded his banking business in Altona. Isac Hesse's sons Heinrich Levin and Hartwig also worked in the former banking business. In 1825, Heinrich Levin changed the name of the company to " H. L. Hesse ". Heinrich Levin Hesse was married to Mathilde Amalie Hesse, née Oppenheimer.

Elisabeth Pick, née Markus

Complete profile
100

Elisabeth Pick, née Markus, was born in Mainz on April 7, 1871. Her husband Franz Pick († 1932) was co-owner of the malt factory Niedersedlitz; the marriage produced three children. Pick lived her last years in the „Judenhaus“ Caspar-David-Friedrich-Straße 15b; after receiving the deportation order to Theresienstadt she took her own life on January 27, 1942.

For the Nazi regime, Elisabeth Pick was a Jew; according to her own understanding, the daughter of emancipated, converted Jews and widow of a German officer was a German Protestant and patriot.

Agency & Commission - Richard Oppenheim

Complete profile
90

Richard Oppenheim was born on March 17, 1866. His parents were Joseph (later Julius) Oppenheim, born on September 27, 1828 in Echte/Harz and Emilie Wolfers, born on May 12, 1842 in Minden. Richard, a trained merchant, became co-owner of the company "Oppenheim & Co, M. Rosenstirn Nachf." around 1890-1896. In November 1896, he married the Evangelical Lutheran Ida Zimmermann. In the meantime, Richard Oppenheim described himself as "non-denominational". In 1898, he was the sole owner of the "Richard Oppenheim" agency and commission company.

Grain handling - S. S. Eichenberg

Complete profile
90

In the general address book for Göttingen 1881 the following entries can be found under the name Eichenberg: Eichenberg Baruch, Handlungs-Commis., Johannisstr.26 - Eichenberg Feodor, Commis, Gronerstr.4 - Eichenberg Sal., Getreidehändler, Neustadt 20 - Eichenberg Siegfr, Getreidehändler, Gronerstr. 4 - In the street directory -  Neustadt 20, - Gebr. Eichenberg, Fruchthandlung.  - The following entry can be found in the 1897 address book: Eichenberg, S. S., Getreidehdlg. (Siegfr. u. Selly E.), Neust. 20, Lager landwirthsch. Machine. Gronerthorstr. 32, F.

Naxos Union

Complete profile
90

A merchant from Darmstadt, Julius Pfungst initially worked in the processing of hare and rabbit fur after setting up his business in Frankfurt. In 1871, however, he pulled off a coup that was to establish the success of the family business: he acquired the exclusive right to sell the emery mined on the Greek island of Naxos in Germany. In the same year, Pfungst founded the "Gesellschaft des ächten Naxos-Schmirgels". In the following decades, he expanded industrial production of the coveted abrasive on a large scale. The manufacture of grinding machines was also added.

Baumweg 5-7

Complete profile
90

The building at Baumweg 5-7 housed the Moritz and Johanna Oppenheim Kindergarten for Israelites from 1907 to 1938. During the Second World War, the "Aryanized" property housed the kindergarten of the Nazi People's Welfare Association. Immediately after the liberation of Frankfurt by the US Army in March 1945, the property was made available to the Jewish community and a care center for Jews was set up. After renovation and conversion of the building, the Baumweg Synagogue in the front part of the building was inaugurated on March 10, 1949.

Alfred-J.-Meyers-Platz

Complete profile
90

Alfred Joseph Meyers (1895-1956) was a Frankfurt industrialist and president of FSV Frankfurt from 1929 to 1933. He was born in Brookline, Massachusetts in 1895 into a German-Jewish family. In 1916, he married Alicia "Liesel" Gertrude Dahlsheimer from Frankfurt. Their children Norbert and Edwin were born in 1922 and 1927 respectively. They attended the Philanthropin. The family lived in the Westend and attended the liberal Westend Synagogue there. Alfred Meyers founded "Enameline Werke" in Höchst am Main in 1917 together with his brother William.

Boys' home Beith Neorim (Beth Nearim)

Complete profile
90

The buildings in Hölderlinstraße, which included house number 10, were erected in 1903; the architect Carl Runkwitz was responsible for the plans and the construction company commissioned was Cohn & Kreh. From around 1906/07, the building housed an auxiliary school. From the 1930s at the latest, the address was linked to the history of the neighboring Samson-Raphael-Hirsch-Realschule. Due to increasing persecution in the Frankfurt area and far beyond, many families now sought shelter there for their children.