Jewish Museum Frankfurt

City walk Frankfurt am Main: Places of remembrance in Ostend

Off
Off

Jewish life in Frankfurt's Ostend district was systematically destroyed between 1933 and 1945. The city administration and mostly the Secret State Police disenfranchised, persecuted and deported the Jews living in the district; most of them were murdered in the Shoah. And yet, immediately after the liberation of Frankfurt in spring 1945, Jewish life in Ostend made a cautious, albeit fragile, new start.

City walk Frankfurt am Main: Company address Ostend

Off
Off

Disclaimer: This walk leads through an industrial and commercial area. The roads are busy, especially with trucks and heavy articulated lorries. The sidewalks are generally in poor condition and not barrier-free. It is therefore recommended that you read this walk online, rather than using it on site. 

Frankfurt city walk: Out of the ghetto

Off
Off

The walk "Out of the Ghetto" retraces the course of the Judengasse, which was established by the city of Frankfurt in the middle of the 15th century, moving from life in the narrow and stuffy alleyway out into the Fischerfeld district, where many Jews settled after the end of the ghetto restrictions. For more than 300 years, from 1462 until the Napoleonic era, Frankfurt's Jews had to live in the 330-meter-long and on average three-meter-wide alley. Built along the Staufer city wall, the Judengasse stretched from the Bornheimer Pforte in the north to the Rechneigraben in the south.

Schools and educational institutions in the Jewish Ostend

Off
Off

Frankfurt Ostend district was the city's Jewish quarter from the second half of the 19th century until the Nazi persecution. Around 1895, around a quarter of the residents were Jewish. In 1925, around 6,400 Jews lived in Ostend. Liberal, conservative and neo-orthodox Jews lived together here, as did immigrants from Eastern Europe from the 1880s onwards, with different rites and religious customs, which was also visible in everyday life and in the cityscape. The tour shows the dense network of Jewish schools and educational institutions in the district.

Hospitals and social welfare facilities in Frankfurt's Ostend district

Off
Off

Frankfurt Ostend district was the city's Jewish quarter from the second half of the 19th century until the Nazi persecution. Around 1895, around a quarter of the residents were Jewish. In 1925, around 6,400 Jews lived in Ostend. Liberal, conservative and orthodox Jews as well as the “Ostjuden”, who had immigrated here in the 1880s, lived together here with different rites and religious customs, which was also visible in everyday life and in the cityscape. Around 1900, modern Jewish hospitals and children's homes were built along the Röderbergweg and the Bornheimer Landwehr.

New Jewish Cemetery Eckenheimer Landstraße (Frankfurt am Main)

Complete profile
100

The New Jewish Cemetery at Eckenheimer Landstrasse 238 was built in 1928/29 according to plans by the government architect Fritz Nathan. The austere cubic architecture follows the New Building style prevailing at the time, while at the same time reverting to classical elements such as portico, axiality, and peristyle. The only facade decoration is the wall bond of red-brown Dutch clinker.

Old Jewish cemetery Battonnstraße (Frankfurt am Main)

Complete profile
90

The first burials in the Battonnstraße Jewish Cemetery can be dated to 1272 on the basis of a few gravestones. This makes it one of the oldest of its kind in Europe. In Judaism, the cemetery is considered an eternal resting place; for this reason, the graves may not be dissolved, nor may the gravestones be removed. If no other land is available, earth is piled up in order to be able to bury the dead on top of each other.

Museum Judengasse (Frankfurt am Main)

Complete profile
100

The Museum Judengasse is located in the building complex of the municipal utility center on the . In 1985, Swiss architect Ernst Gisel is commissioned to design a new administrative and service building on the site of the former Jewish ghetto. The result is an architecture whose 140-meter-long arcade front is dominated by a sweeping curved ridge line.

Jewish Museum Frankfurt

Complete profile
100

The Jewish Museum is housed in the former upper middle-class residence of the Rothschild family and one of the neighboring buildings at Am Untermainkai 14-15. The city architect Johann F. Chr. Hess erected the two buildings in 1820/21 in the classicist style. After Mayer Carl von Rothschild acquired the house in 1846, he had it enlarged by the architect Friedrich Rumpf and furnished with a representative, stately interior. Rumpf coined with his decor "Le goût Rothschild", the Rothschild taste, which still defines part of the premises today.