Hagibor retirement home - Domov sociální péče Hagibor
The origins of the hospital date back to 1888, when the Jewish community of Prague decided to establish a facility for sick and poor members. In 1908, the "Jubilee Foundation of Emperor Franz Joseph for the Sick" acquired the land, and in 1911 the building was erected in the classical modernist style according to the plans of architect Viktor Kafka.
During the Second World War, the site was converted into a Nazi labor camp for people from mixed marriages in 1943, where around 3,500 people were interned and forcibly used to process mica for the company Glimmer--Spalterei GmbH.
Prague Funeral Brotherhood - Chewra kadischa
The buildings, which originally belonged to the Prague Burial Brotherhood, were the headquarters of several departments of the Jewish religious community. Among other things, the personnel office and the statistics office, the housing department and building administration, the social welfare department and the administration of Jewish social institutions were located here.
Makabi Prague
The sports organization Makabi Prague, founded in 1906, had a Zionist orientation. The gymnastics and sports movement supported the idea of a Jewish state in Palestine and wanted to prepare its members ideologically and physically for the national rebirth.Until 1942, its headquarters were in Křižovnická 1048/3, where young people of Jewish faith met and prepared for emigration to Palestine. In addition to ideological lessons, Hebrew was also taught.
The members took part in sports in various gyms and sports halls in the center of Prague. In 1942, Makabi Prague was banned.
Jewish retirement home
Until 1942, Krakovská 1327/13 housed a Jewish old people's home, and from 1942 Depot No. 41, where confiscated Jewish property - furniture - was stored.
Today, the building houses accommodation for tourists and apartments.
Central Zionist Union - Palestine Office / Ústřední sionistický svaz- Palestinský urad Prague
In the interwar period, the Zionist associations and organizations in Techoslovakia were united under the umbrella of the Central Zionist Union (Ústřední sionistický svaz). Shortly after the occupation of the German Wehrmacht, all Zionist organizations had to cease their activities. These were now taken over by the Central Zionist Union – the Palästina Büro (Ústřední sionistický svaz – Palestinský úřad) – with a new organizational structure üover.
Jewish Newsletter Prague - Židovské listy - Editorial office
The Jüdische Nachrichtenblatt Prag - Židovské listy was a bilingual newspaper (German/Czech) published in Prague from November 1939 to January 1945. It was published during the time of the Protectorate of Böhmen und Mähren and served as the official organ of the Jewish community in Prague and the Zionist organizations. During the first phase (24 November 1939 to 13 September 1940) it was the organ of the Jewish Community and the Zionist Organization in Prague. From September 20, 1940 to February 5, 1943, it functioned exclusively as the organ of the Jewish Community in Prague.
Max Brod - last place of residence in Prague
Biskupský Dvůr 1147/6: The last Prague residence of the writer, theater and music critic Max Brod. He was deeply connected to Judaism, more so than many of his Prague contemporaries, who were often influenced by secularism (such as Franz Kafka or Franz Werfel). Brod was a staunch Zionist and actively supported the idea of a Jewish state. He was already involved in Zionist circles in the 1920s.
Grand Hotel Grünwald - Markus Friediger
The Munich address book from 1900 contains the following entries: Friediger Hirsch, merchant, Baaderstr.41/3, Friediger M. (owner Markus Friediger, goods agent, Baaderstr.41/3)./Markus Friediger was born on October 20, 1875 in Andrichau/Andrychów in Galicia in what was then Austria-Hungary.his parents were Bernhard Friediger and Rösi Theresine, née Feiner.Markus Friediger moved to Munich with his family in 1894.from the turn of the century onwards, he focused his business activities on the hospitality industry.in 1916, he founded the Friediger Hirsch company.
Jáchymka School Prague - Talmud Torah School
The Jáchymka School was a Talmud-Torah school in the Josefov district of Prague. It was founded in 1908 and converted into a Jewish elementary school in 1920. It was in operation until 1942. During the National Socialist era, it was the only school in the Bohemian part of the Protectorate that Jewish children were allowed to attend. However, in August 1942, Emanuel Moravec, Minister of Education in the Protectorate government, banned the teaching of Jewish children and the school was closed.
Jewish Museum in Prague - Židovské muzeum v Praze - Informační centrum
The Jüdisches Museum in Prague" emerged from the "Association for the Establishment and Preservation of the Jüdisches Museum in Prague" from 1906.
The Jewish Museum Association was founded in 1906 by the historian Salomon Hugo Lieben (1881-1942) and JUDr. August Stein (1854-1937) and was originally a private institution supported by the Jewish community of Prague.